Monday, May 20, 2013

Trouble Trusting God

I’m having trouble trusting God. Nancy and I work for a “faith mission” which means we trust God will provide the money we need, through the kindness of his people. The problem is, it hasn't worked out recently.

For over 15 years people have generously supported us. But over the past couple of years our support has slowly declined. More recently it’s taken some significant hits. 

It’s nobody’s fault. People have lost jobs, gone bankrupt and needed their money for other things. My struggle is, now we are so badly underfunded wonder if we’ll be able to dig out of the hole. 

Can God do it? Yes. Will he? I don’t know. 

Maybe it’s time to move on. Funding is one of our final “qualifiers” for a life in missions, though sometimes I wonder if it’s a very good one. I've watched a number of families walk through this and it can be pretty scary. 

You start looking at the consequences:  Am I going to have to leave the field? But my kids love their school. But my wife loves her job. I've been out of the market for years and I’m middle aged, who will even hire me? 

I’m sure our supporters who've lost their jobs over the past few years have shared many of the same fears.

It’s hard not to look at the problems. Like Peter watching the waves, it can feel like you’re sinking. Trusting is a choice. It’s a decision to look back to Christ and take his hand, because really, there are no other options.  So again today, that’s what I’ll try to do. 

We don’t need a lot of money, just a lot of people. Just $10 a month could make the difference for us... we just need 200 people to believe it.

If you’d pray about that, I would appreciate it. Also, if you would consider reposting this, chatting with your friends, find out if your small group or church would like to help, I would be grateful.

If you’d like to know more about what we do you can check out this website: https://reachbeyond.org/missionaries/read/jeff-and-nancy-ingram-1. If you’d like to know about Reach Beyond as a whole go to https://reachbeyond.org/.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you needed that HMA after all! Praying for you guys and for your funding. God will make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    God's asking us to join you guys...we can commit to $100 a month for at least the next year. Thank you both for serving our Lord so faithfully over the years!

    Love you guys,
    Mark & Deborah

    ReplyDelete