Thursday, May 30, 2013

America In Decline

Recently, Nancy and I made a cross country trip. I've talked a little bit about it already, here.

Somewhere along the way a strange sensation came over me as I realized a number of things.

  • I've been driving 70 or better the whole way on big, clean highways.
  • I've dodged no potholes.
  • There are signs telling me how to find the next town.
  • There are signs warning me of construction, miles ahead of time.
  • I haven’t been hassled by anyone at any checkpoint.
  • Over 1,600 miles and I don’t need my passport.
  • Clean bathrooms… and toilet paper in all of them!
  • All the stinking restaurants are full.

I keep hearing that we are an America in decline. In trouble. In recession. With huge unemployment. Financially on the brink of destruction. 

All of that may be true. People I care about have lost their jobs and businesses, some have filed bankruptcy and our national debt is in the stratosphere

But if this is America in a shambles, we have been supremely blessed. I’m ashamed that I don’t wake up every day and thank God that I get to live here… it may even be sinful not to.

Nancy and I have been a lot of places. We've seen some pretty grim living situations.

I’m humbled by the fact that I didn't do anything to get to live in this great nation; a nation, even in difficulty, that has a comfort and ease of life that eclipses much of the world. 

No matter the fate of America, I long for the day of a new heaven and a new earth when we all, my siblings living in prosperity and those in poverty, will finally be home. 

2 comments:

  1. I often wonder if comfort and ease are good things. They seem to become the ends rather than means, and a placebo to make us stop longing for home. For me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I would agree with that Ty. Well said.

      Delete