Thursday, May 2, 2013

I'm Finally Cool!

So I have this motorcycle. It’s small, a Yamaha Verago 250. I think my boss’s Nissan Titan probably has better pickup. But it can hold me and Nancy as we zip around town on date night, and gets me back and forth to work. At 70 mpg, it’s hard to beat.

My first significant little trip was a half hour drive up to Monument, to visit a park I like there. I was headed north on US 85, a little safer than the interstate for a scared little biker, when something strange happened.

A guy, on a motorcycle heading toward me, slowly reached out his hand. I thought, “What’s he doing? Is he pointing at something? Is there something wrong with my bike? How can he tell I don’t know what I’m doing?”

Then I realized, “HE’S WAIVING!” I was being waved at by a motorcyclist! I was accepted! I was in a club! I was finally cool! Of course by this time the guy was flying by me and I flailed my arm awkwardly to return the gesture. I drove on, still a nerd, but warmed by the knowledge that no one could really tell who was under the helmet.

Maybe it’s just me but I think we all have a deep need to belong. We’ll do some weird stuff to be accepted by whatever group we covet. We put on all kinds of masks and suits to be let in. We’ll even sacrifice our own views and feelings to avoid being ostracized.

A lot of times Christians say things like, “God should be enough for you” and maybe that’s true. I wonder though, because God made Eve for Adam and said, “It is not good for man to be alone.” Even tough guy Paul couldn't walk through doors God had opened for ministry because his buddy Titus wasn't with him.

God gave us to each other for acceptance, encouragement and love (and sometimes confrontation). Hopefully we can find that in a body of believers. Unfortunately, sometimes we feel like we have to put on a helmet and ride a motorcycle.

Wherever you are, know that you are loved and accepted by God and even by me. You don’t even have to have a motorcycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment