Monday, November 25, 2013

Children's Choir

Watching the children’s choir at church is always a fun place to peg personality types. It is the place where introverts and extroverts are exposed in stark contrast.

The introverts are standing there, lips barely moving, voice nearly inaudible, hand motions nearly imperceptible, withering under the weight of hundreds of eyes boring into their souls.

The extroverts are nearly yelling, flailing wildly, bouncing uncontrollably, absorbing the attention like a dehydrated sponge plunged into water.

One of the greatest gifts we can give our kids is to help them understand how God made them and then help them to embrace it.

As a 19 year old dad, I had no clue who I was much less have the ability to help my boys understand their wiring. Somehow, I still ended up with two great young men. I just wish I had realized earlier how God designs us to be different people and allowed them to grow in that.

Understanding how God has gifted us empowers us to engage without fear. It also protects us from arrogance, acknowledging we did nothing to earn how we've been created. And though there may be areas where I excel, there are others where I am painfully dependent.

The beauty of the body of Christ is all parts are valuable. More than that, they are needed. So self awareness is not only the best gift we can give our children, it’s the best gift we can give the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment