Thursday, November 21, 2013

Trust

I saw this video on CBS Sunday Morning last week. It grabbed my attention because it talked about wounded veterans and the power of music in recovery.

It’s a pretty powerful piece with soldiers sharing how music has helped them cope with the loss of limbs, sight and traumatic brain injury. But it’s the last minute and a half that stunned me, forced me to find the story online and watch it over and over.

(Spoiler alert – watch the video then come back and read)

Everything in the last 1:30 moves me.

Cpl. Donely’s decision to trust, when he seems to have every reason not to, inspires and troubles me. My emotions are conflicted because my mind has no box to put such a profound level of faith.

If he is trusting God with his future, he must also believe that he serves a God powerful enough to have stopped what happened. God could have prevented it or at least limited the damage he suffered, right? Could he not at least saved Donely’s right arm?

Choosing to say, “All of the hopes and dreams I had are now in a shambles, my body is broken and I choose to trust you” levels me.

I think one of the most difficult, persistent questions of God is, “Do you trust me?” I really believe, though many would disagree, that the reason Jesus wept in John 11 was because no one trusted him.

Folks he had touched, healed and forgiven over the past three years accused him of being too late to help them. And it moved him to tears.

But not Cpl. Donley. Though you did not rescue me, I will trust you. That’s hard for me to accept, but somewhere, deep inside, it feels true. 

2 comments:

  1. That is an intersting perspective on Jesus wept. I'm going to think on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm perfectly happy to be wrong, but it's what makes sense to me. As I read his interaction with Mary and Martha and knowing what he was going to do in just a few minutes, that's how it sounds to me. It's not an original idea, but I can't remember where I first heard it.

      Delete