Thursday, July 18, 2013

Be Like Christ and Make Me Happy!

Christians get in trouble with each other (very, very rarely of course) because we expect our brothers and sisters to respond in a Christ-like manner. 

We get blindsided when we realize we are still dealing with people who are broken and sometimes sinful. More importantly, they may even have a different view of what a “Christ-like” response would be.

Being the expert on Christ-likeness, I will now help you understand what a Christ-like response is… it is one that makes me happy!

No, really.

If you want to have the attitude of Christ, first ask me what I want and then give it to me. You should also forgive me my minor affronts and failings, because that’s what Christ would do.

Doesn't the Bible say he will forgive all our sins and if we ask anything in his name he will give it to us?

So, if you want to be like Christ, forgive me and give me what I want.

I guess I shouldn't just ask you for stuff. I should really say, “In Jesus name, give me your taco!” Either way, you’re supposed to give it to me.

Yes, yes he did rebuke Peter and broke out a can of “Whoop-hiney” on the money changers, but that was just a flash of OT Jesus. You know, he was in between the Testaments so there had to be a little residual OT in there.

Now we live in the age of Grace, Baby!

So don’t confront me when I make poor decisions. Don’t challenge me when I’m selfish and petty. Don’t question my bad attitudes. And please, PLEASE don’t expect me to grow.

Growth is for the birds. It’s painful and I might actually have to change.

Don’t try to have a hard conversation with me, because frankly, it would be hard. I might get my feelings hurt, or be forced to think about stuff. I’m certain to get mad at you, and you don’t what THAT, do you?

Instead be like Christ. Give me what I want and forgive whatever I do without question or consequence. And I’ll continue to live my shallow, little, non-reflective, growth-stunted Christian life.

That’s what you would do if you REALLY loved me, right? 

2 comments:

  1. You've got it wrong, Jeff. It really is all about what I (me me me) want. But since I value peace (and your tacos} I won't confront you on it.

    ReplyDelete