Friday, April 12, 2013

Why Does God Use Stupid People?

I've been in full time ministry for a long time now. And I have developed a deep love for people working in cross-cultural ministry. They are normal people accomplishing extraordinary things at no small cost to themselves and their families.

99% of these people are humble, hard working, sincere folks, just trying to follow their God. The other 1% are stupid.

I’m sorry, they aren't stupid; they just do stupid things. Because of some brokenness, pain or hardship, they act in ways that are self serving, power grabbing and even sinful (no one in HCJB Global, mind you. Our people are all perfect).

What makes me mad is God still uses these narcissistic people. People come to Christ, get disciple and grow in their faith. God even blesses them! Some get popular, they get money, even TV shows and stuff. It drives me crazy!

What’s worse, though, is when I finally get all worked up God and I have this conversation,
God: You’re being a baby.
Me: WHAT?
God: Who are you to judge another man’s servant?
Me: Um…
God: Read Philippians 1:15-18
Me: I don’t want to… I already know what it says from the last 100 times we've had this conversation.
God: Then what are you whining about?
Me:  I’m going to watch TV now…

Paul is sitting in prison, locked up for preaching the Gospel, while others are preaching for selfish reasons, even trying to make trouble for him. His response, “Who cares? The Gospel is being preached!”

What my frustration with others reveals are my own selfish motivations. It’s not about me. It’s about God and his desire to heal the broken relationship he has with people around the world. For some reason, he chooses broken people to do the work.

And that thought gives me hope, because if it’s true, maybe he can even use me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment