Monday, April 8, 2013

Interviews


Over the next couple of weeks we have new missionary candidates showing up at HCJB Global. It’s always a great time to have new folks in the office, excited and energetic about ministry, trying to figure out if HCJB is a good fit for them.

Due to some bizarre oversight, I have ended up on the interview committee, trying to determine if the applicants are a good fit for us as an organization.

It hit me today the gravity of the situation. Reading applications and references, I realize the tremendous responsibility, not just for us as an organization, but for the folks we’re interviewing.

There’s something in me that wants to scream, “DON’T DO IT!” I want to let them know:

You’re parents will get sick and you won’t be there.

Your siblings will have lives that move on without you.

Your kids will never have a sense of country and never have a sense of “home.”

You will never feel comfortable in the U.S. or U.S. church again.

All you think you know and believe about God will be challenged.

DON’T DO IT!

And a part of me buzzes with excitement and says:

This is the most exciting adventure you’ll ever experience. I’m proud of you!

Your children will experience wonder like others could only dream of.

You will see God work in ways you never imagined.

It’s an opportunity of a lifetime!

DO IT!

I’m conflicted between a desire to warn them and push them forward. Hopefully, this week, I’ll be able to do both.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment