Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Finding the "Why?"

I’m sure the bombings in Boston yesterday have a lot of people asking, “Why?” And, understandably, God gets a lot of flack at times like this because we struggle with the concept of a loving God who would allow an evil person to do such an awful thing.

It’s an honest question and one we should struggle with if we want to have an honest faith. I wonder, though, if sometimes it’s a cop out. If I can blame God, then I don’t have to look at myself.

Don’t misunderstand me, this is not about blaming the victim. Attacks like these are senseless and perpetrated by angry, evil people against the innocent and defenseless. Their actions cannot be justified and they should be tracked down, prosecuted and punished.

What’s also true is, if we only blame God or write these things off as acts of a madman, then we never have to look at our government, or society or ourselves. Sometimes people are angry for a reason and it might be a good idea to ask, “Why?”

There are atrocities taking place every day, they just don’t impact me, so I ignore them and go watch another episode of Big Bang. Child sex slavery, the drug wars in Mexico, persecution of Christians and a civil war in the Central African Republic I can’t even find on the news anywhere, are just a few.

I wonder if when I ask God why he allows this stuff, if he doesn't ask me the same question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment