Friday, March 29, 2013

Rich People Are Stupid

From time to time Nancy and I to escape. We try to find a place of rest and quiet. A place to walk, talk, read, sleep, watch TV and just do nothing. It’s healthy; you should try it.

So we’re constantly looking for good deals online for cheap places to spend a few days. We found a “too good to be true” deal at the Hyatt Regency in Denver this weekend, so we jumped on it. Since we’re used to a Motel 6 standard we were looking forward to seeing how the snooty people live.

Apparently rich people are stupid.

We have to pay for parking. We have to pay for internet. We have to pay for breakfast. I can get all of that stuff free at a Days Inn.

When we got to our room I found out that our internet package didn't cover two logins. For $5 more we could use two computers at the same time. Seriously?

The guide on the TV didn't work, the fridge didn't keep our snacks very cool, there was no microwave and it took three tries to get unscented soap that wouldn't give Nancy a migraine.

The breakfast buffet is better at a Hampton and I had to pay for it. We've been fortunate enough to have stayed in some nice places when we lived in Asia. They had some weird breakfast food like Bee Hoon and Curry, but they also had a dude making made-to-order omelets. At least at a Settle Inn I could make myself a waffle!

No one came to refill my coffee, no one came to clear my plates, but they sure were quick with the bill.

It hit me this morning as I sat astonished at all the add on expenses and poor service, “these are first world problems.” Nancy and I laugh at them because really they are only problems because of my expectations and my feelings are hurt because I feel like I got duped by a bait and switch deal.

But the reality is, I’m staying in a nice hotel, getting some rest and having a great time with Nancy. Meanwhile, there’s chaos in Syria, bombings in Iraq and Pakistan and saber rattling in North Korea.

Since we've been back, I’m learning perspective can be hard to maintain in this country. It’s hard to have when you've been spoiled. Strangely, weekends like this help me maintain it. They also remind me, I’m just as happy at a Motel 6. 

2 comments:

  1. Saber Rattling isn't a term you hear every day, nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Sabers... I would rattle mine if I had one. :o)

      Delete