Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lost Expectations

Life doesn't always turn out the way you expect. You have a plan and set some goals, then life intervenes and everything changes.

I thought we’d live in Ecuador forever. Then we were happy in Singapore. Now we’re content in Colorado. I have a hard time saying, “forever” anymore.

On a trip to Africa, I sat on the dirt floor of a mud hut and listened to a young woman’s story of pregnancy, AIDS and the man who left her. I have to believe that she had different expectations.

Our friends, a doctor and nurse, went there to bring hope and health to a country with very little, but found themselves overwhelmed and burned out. They had different expectations.

I wonder about Mary’s expectations as she stood at the foot of the cross. How could she reconcile the promises of the angel with her son's dying body? 

The hope of the nativity colliding with the reality of the cross must have crushed all expectations.

So I'm trying to live life with expectancy and not expectations.

A life of expectations is filled with disappointment. Expectancy is filled with hope and wonder. It helps find contentment no matter the circumstances.

I hope I can learn to understand the wonder of the nativity, the grace of the cross and the hope of the resurrection. Maybe then the expectations of my circumstances will be replaced by the expectancy of Christ's return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment