Thursday, March 14, 2013

Manna Moaning and Me

I’m always pretty hard on the Israelites of the Old Testament. It’s hard to find a whinier group of faithless people.

Especially after the exodus from Egypt. You've seen all the stuff God did to get Pharaoh to let you go. You've walked across the sea and his army was swallowed up.

Now, you’re wandering around the desert, with no food or water and God miraculously provides it for you. You don’t even really have to do anything to get it. You just go out there, pick up enough for the day and go home.

What’s their ultimate response to this life giving, miracle that tasted like honey wafers? They got tired of it and began to complain.

Every day but the Sabbath they saw a God at work, with bread just showing up on the ground… And it got old.

I need to confess that fundraising is my Manna.

I’m a goof. Not only that, I’m a missionary, living in the U.S. Not only that, I’m not even doing front-line ministry. Our job is to encourage our staff around the world and hope they stay on the field.

It is a miracle anyone would give me money. And there are days I resent it.

I resent that I have to humble myself and ask people for help. I resent that I have to wonder if people will continue to give. But mostly I resent that it’s out of my control and all I can do is hope.

But when I start feeling that way, I have to remind myself of what’s true. None of us really have control. The security of a steady paycheck is a false security. We are all eating manna. Each one of us could have something happen that would cause us to lose our job tomorrow. 

Our income is a gift from God.

The difference is I get to experience the profound wonder that month after month God’s people choose to provide for us. It’s a mystery to me.

As I live in the tension of eating manna day after day, I am exceedingly grateful for the miracle I'm allowed to witness. I marvel at the generosity of people around the world who provide for us. Sometimes, I even thank God for the gift it is to live on manna. 

If you're ever interested, here's where to give

2 comments:

  1. Take it from someone who has been paid for working at a ministry....the quail isn't a whole lot different than the manna. ;)

    ReplyDelete