Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Avoiding Intimacy


Every day God calls me. My time with him heals wounds, brings peace and provides perspective. And I avoid it. I believe the creator of the universe loves me intimately, sacrificed his son for me, wants to spend time with me and I ignore him.

Even though I benefit from the time, I avoid him. I convince myself TV, or radio, or Facebook, or just about anything will be more interesting or fun. Sometimes TV is more fun. It protects me from looking at the attitudes or actions I need to change. I hide from God in the glow of the blue light pretending he can’t see me.

Life is full of things pulling me away from intimacy with God. They aren't necessarily bad things. Drinking a Coke isn't a bad thing; unless it becomes my primary source of nutrition (or if I lived in New York).

Sometimes I fool myself into thinking I can live on Coke as long as I pop a one-a-day. So I blow through a quick devotional in the morning then get on with “my” day. Relationships don’t work like that.

The worst year of our marriage was when Nancy worked nights and I worked days. We’d high five each other as we passed off the boys coming or going. If not for God’s grace and a pretty harsh wake up call, our relationship wouldn't have survived.

We needed time together. We needed time alone. We needed to spend days together. Can my relationship with God, really be any different? Intimacy can be scary. And it also heals wounds, brings peace and provides perspective. I need to drink less Coke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment