Thursday, February 21, 2013

Estate Sale Motivation

When we moved back to the U.S. from Singapore, everything we owned fit into the back of a van… then we bought a house. Nancy loves yard sales so much I wrote a song about it, so it was a wonderful time for her.

She spent hours on Craigslist, at yard sales and estate sales to find beds, couches and tables. And I’m grateful; we’d still be paying it off if we bought everything new.

On one particular “Stop the car!” moment Nancy saw an estate sale. If you’re feeling overly chipper, go to an estate sale. They are usually homes of older people who either died or are “transitioning.”

You wander through someone’s house, picking over all their things, like vultures, haggling over their prized possessions.

In this particular house, there was an award on the wall from the Pentagon, honoring a man’s years of service. I could have owned it for $2. No one wanted it; no one cared.

Estate sales make you consider your own mortality and what you value. You can’t help but think, “Someday, it will be my house someone is picking through.” 

When my grandfather died, he was buried the same day as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Their services couldn't have been more different; hers attended by thousands, his by just a handful. As I looked around the room I wondered who would remember him after I, and his four other grandchildren, die. In just two generations he could be forgotten forever.

But as I started to descend into depression something occurred to me. Ray Elders lived a life of significance, planting and pastoring churches; churches where the Gospel is still proclaimed. He will not be remembered, but his impact will last generations.

The hard reality is, life is short and the world moves on quickly after we’re gone. But that reality shouldn't depress us, it should motivate us. If we choose to engage in work with eternal significance, our impact will last for lifetimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment