Thursday, February 28, 2013

Men Are Stupid


I like to read. You learn stuff when you read. It’s good. But I rarely do. It seems like it’s easier to turn my brain off and watch Big Bang, instead of reading in the evenings. So, I don’t read as much as I should.

I usually end up reading when I travel. With no TV for distraction on long trips I can read a whole chapter. It’s awesome!

I've read two different books recently that had the same message: Men are stupid.

I don’t think either author wanted to send that message. I might not have even caught it if I hadn't read one after the other. It was subliminal, buried early in the lines of the authors' stories.

Each author shared a part of his personal journey. Both, good Christian men, had their wives walk out on them after years of marriage. Both admitted, while they weren't unfaithful, they had not been the husbands they should have been to their spouse.

The event left them broken and repentant, but it was too late to save their marriages. Both are now happily remarried; their new wives reaping the benefit of their grand awakening.

It’s tragic.

Why is it that these men, and others I know personally, have to have their wives leave them before they wake up and change? Why are we complacent in our relationships? Why are we so stupid?

Love your wife! Chase after her. Court her. Talk to her. Stop reading this stupid blog and call her. Ask if she is happy. Ask if she feels fulfilled. Ask how you can love her better. Ask what her needs are. Then repent if you have been failing her. 

Don’t be stupid.

We’re all broken, I understand that. It's only by God's grace, and Nancy's, she hasn't left me. She's had reason to. And I’m happy these two guys are now in healthy relationships. I’m happy their relationships with Christ are deeper and more meaningful. I’m glad they woke up; some men never do.

And it breaks my heart they weren't paying attention. It's sad they were too wrapped up in life, or work or church or whatever to see the wounded wife they had sworn to love. We need to pay attention. I need to call Nancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment