Monday, February 11, 2013

A Beer With Jesus

My summer job in high school was working as a plumber’s helper, installing pipes in new homes. The pay was good, but I wasn't.  I can’t imagine why they let me come back every summer. Maybe because we went to church with some guys who worked there. Nothing like a little guilt to keep you employed!!

It was during those summers I developed my loathing for country music. One of the guys I worked with LOVED country music. His radio never switched off, day after day.

It was at a time when there wasn't much turnover, so I got to listen to about five songs over and over. I have a great amount of respect for Dolly Parton, but a person can only take so much 9 to 5. .

After a 25 year break I’m able to listen again.  I like stories, and country music seems to tell them better than other genres. Tender, tough or funny, you can always count on a good story. Even the song I wrote for Nancy is country (at least in my head).

Recently I heard Thomas Rhett’s “A Beer With Jesus.” Let’s not argue about if Jesus would have a beer. We know he drank wine, but “A Wine With Jesus” wouldn't make a very good country song at all. It’s a good song, talking about the questions he would ask, if they could have a drink together.

It’s not the point of the song, but it’s implied that he would give Jesus some special treatment. While I’m sure that most everyone would treat Jesus with special respect, something about it bothers me.

You see, the point of Christ’s message was that we would treat everyone with respect, especially those who may not normally be likely to receive it. Those we might normally ignore or overlook or even our enemies should be elevated.

Every day we have a chance to have a beer with Jesus (or sweet tea if you’d rather). The question is, are we taking advantage of the opportunities? 

4 comments:

  1. kind of ironic that you later worked at The Frog in Anderson, hope you didn't loathe country music then, going to work would stink!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Jessica, I wasn't a big fan then. But they paid me! Fortunately, I worked as the news director, so I didn't have to spend a lot of time in the studio.

      Delete
  2. Treat everyone with respect...even people that are lying to me. Your reminder came just in time.

    ReplyDelete