Monday, July 21, 2014

Team Dynamics

I've been spending some time with our team in the Asia Pacific region lately. One of our families has four boys, five and under. No twins. Yep.

They've just completed their first term and it hasn't all been a cakewalk: illness, childbirth, travel, childbirth, visa issues, hospitalizations. And they seem to have weathered it pretty well.

Walking down the road with Becky and her four boys the other day I was wondering, “how have they done so well, when their time hasn't been ideal?” Then I looked over and saw Lisa (one of our teammates) carrying 80 pounds of children’s gear while Lisa’s daughter, Thisbe, carried one of the little guys, with another one in tow.

It was at this point I realized I should probably be helping.

What I also realized is this family joined a healthy team. There were people on the ground who welcomed them, loved them and loved their boys. They plugged into a church which has also cared for them when life has been a struggle.

There are a lot of factors in missionary longevity. Pre-field preparation is import. Support from your home country is crucial. And there is no substitute for a team of people, who are as committed to you as they are to the work.

I love this couple and their four precocious little guys and can’t wait to see how God leads them. I’m thankful they've been able to benefit from working in a healthy team. I pray that’s always the case for them. In fact, that’s a good prayer for all of us. 

2 comments:

  1. Right on Jeff. A healthy team environment is sooooo important - and this from the experience of working in unhealthy situations. But it should not go unnoticed that you and Nancy have made wonderful contributions to developing and maintaining healthy ministry teams. I know. I have served with you. Thank you, my privilege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Derek. Thank you. I learned HEAPS from you.

      Delete