Saturday, July 26, 2014

Humanity

In the airport today, my passport slipped out of its cover and fell to the floor. Thankfully, a thoughtful young woman called to me to let me know I dropped it.

As I picked it up and turned to thank her and her husband, the looks on their faces really struck me. They were concerned for me and relieved I had heard them. They knew the implications of a lost passport and you could tell they were grateful I recovered it.

I wasn't surprised to see, they were Muslim.

They were dressed in traditional local attire, complete with head covering. I was dressed in traditional American tourist, complete with shorts and flip-flops.

That wasn't important to them. There was a guy who needed help and they helped him. That was it.

There's a lot of chaos in the world , much of it revolving around religion. The news is a cacophony of violence. Still, most of us just want peace.

Yes, there are evil men and those who allow themselves to be used by them. And, sadly, sometimes evil has to be met with violence. I think if we dug deeply enough, we'd realize the majority of the conflicts have more to do with power than faith.

Most of us just want to live our lives, work, feed our children, live in a good home and die old, holding someone's hand.

A sweet couple, who happened to be Muslim, demonstrated that today. And we could all learn from their example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment