Thursday, October 17, 2013

God Revealed in Fantasy Football

Twelve years ago, ten guys missing U.S. football, got together and formed the Quito Fantasy Football League. The QFFL has now expanded to twelve teams and none of us are in Ecuador anymore.

With everyone working in missions or the military we've spread out. We've had guys in Ecuador, Singapore, Austria, Afghanistan, Djibouti and even the U.S. I've been the league's whipping boy for most of that time, though I did win the championship in 2006 and went 14-2 last season (not that I’m keeping track).

Each August we gather together around our computers and pick our favorite players… or the ones we hate but can’t pass up.

This year, at the end of draft night, while others were researching which of the players ranked in the 190’s would be the better selection, I took two seconds to make my last pick... the Kansas City Defense.

KC was ranked 22nd on draft night and not expected to do much this year. Six games into the season they are averaging 16 points a game. SIX-TEEN! 

To put that in perspective for the uninitiated, it would be like applying for a part time job, expecting minimum wage and being offered full time work at $120K a year.

When I saw that today it hit me, fantasy football is like God. Each year, some no name from nowhere, that someone picked by accident, has a great year.

Paul tells us in Romans that God uses the foolish things to shame the wise. I work with and connect some brilliant folks in missions. What’s also true is we are some of the most broken, raggedy, and just plain weird people on the planet. And sometimes we're even sinful. Yet somehow God is glorified.

You see he picks people, like a little Albanian girl and sends them to places like India so they can change the world. He continues to baffle us with his ability to use the unimpressive. Why? So no one will mistake who is really responsible.

I've been wondering how fantasy football could draw me closer to Jesus. I've finally found him, displayed as a second rate defense, picked last and overachieving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment