Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thankful

I wrote some thank you notes last night. It’s something I don’t do nearly enough. Month after month, people choose to live with less so we can work in ministry.

And all they get out of it the deal is a very rare card with some muddled words of thanks scribbled inside. With my penmanship and spelling capability they probably look like they came from a third grader. 

It’s a humbling thing to write thank you notes because it forces me to look at the hundreds and thousands of dollars people have sacrificed for us.

How do you thank someone for that? The food on my table, mortgage payments, some tuition for Marcus, insurance, Christmas presents, social security, retirement savings and a job I absolutely love, all come from donors.   

For 15 years there hasn't been an aspect of my life covered by “earned” income.

Everything we have has been paid for by someone’s sacrifice.

I've written recently about our funding being low. And I’m sorry if I've come across as ungrateful, panicky or angry. Sometimes those are very easy places to go.  

Peter had no trouble walking on the water until he started looking at the waves. I have the same issue sometimes.

I get caught looking at the problem and the impossibility of the task instead of listening to the one who called me out of the boat.

Writing thank you notes forced me instead see the hand of Christ and the generosity of his people.

Our situation hasn't changed. But we have been so encouraged over the past few months by people who continue to support us, some who have given extra and others who have decide to begin to partner with us.

And I’m thankful that God reminded me of the importance of gratitude and the ability it has to change my thinking.

Today I’m thankful for so many people who have selflessly invested their money, time and lives in me.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment