Monday, September 2, 2013

Just Keep Going

Nancy and I recently headed west, across the Colorado Rockies and into Utah. We've never lived on this side of the country and we were anxious to see some of the sights The West held.

We haven’t been disappointed. There are mesmerizing views. Places you want to sit and stare at all day, awe inspiring places that fill you with wonder.

But even in its beauty the landscape is foreboding. So much about it is harsh, barren and unforgiving. And it makes me wonder, who the heck were the people who settled this country?

There were men and women who traveled across this place looking for wealth, a new home, religious freedom or for a hundred other reasons.

I’m convinced the front range of the Rockies was settled by people like me. Places like Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo were built by people with enough sense of adventure to cross the Great Plains, but then saw the Rockies and said, “Oh, heck no.”

They were smart too, because once you get across the mountains into Utah, there’s nothing, followed by a whole bunch more of nothing. Who were these people? What did they eat? How did they find water? What the heck were they thinking?

More importantly, what were they made of?

When I think about my ease of life, level of comfort and the fact that I scream like a little girl when I see a spider, I’m astounded by the people who built this nation. Men and women who, when it was hard, just kept going.

It’s a huge encouragement and motivator to me. When I think life is difficult, overwhelming and painful I hope will remember these people, take a look at the landscape… and just keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment