Monday, September 30, 2013

Missing Basketball -- a Shrimp's Perspective

We spent seven years in Ecuador. Most of our prime family raising years were there, with other young families, working in ministry and raising kids together. It’s the type of “life sharing” thing that binds people together. I miss it.

There’s a lot to miss too, the people, the mountains, the jungle, the beaches and the ministry. It was a good time. But what’s funny is, when we moved to Singapore, one of the things I missed the most was basketball.

Three days a week, a group of guys would spend lunch hour playing ball, on a raggedy outdoor parking lot, with a very forgiving rim. Our ages probably spread across 25 years and our skill level was just as divergent.

At 5 feet nothing and no ability to jump, dribble, pass or shoot I had no business being out there, but, they were missionaries so they had to let me play.

When we moved, I mourned the loss. And I wondered, what was so special about guys running around, chasing a ball. Why did I miss it so much?

I think it’s because men need time with other men. So often we suck at picking up the phone and calling another guy to go do something. Basketball was a nonthreatening way to come together, compete, laugh and forget about life for awhile.

I don’t remember any deep conversations that happened on the court, but relationships were built that allowed me to have them off it.

For thousands of years men spent time together, teaching each other how to hunt and fish, telling the stories of their fathers and grandfathers. They taught each other how to survive.

It’s something miss today because we don’t have a context to make those conversations happen naturally. Maybe we should play more basketball. 

No comments:

Post a Comment