Friday, May 20, 2016

We Walk in Winter

My friend Gary walked in my office the other day and said, "I hate Colorado in May." I understood exactly where he was coming from. There are a lot of good things about living in Colorado Springs. There's tons of sunshine, trails to walk and bike, parks, Garden of the God's, Pikes Peak. It is just a beautiful place.




But there's something about May. May is when my basement flooded. Warm Spring days morph into cold winter nights with wicked wind and wet snow. Tulips come up in April then May snows will bury them.



In May we see the hope of Summer, but it remains illusive, distant. Winter continues to mock us.

We walk in a world of Winter. It's a place with the cruelty of ISIS. It's where 1 in 5 girls are sexually assaulted before 18. It's where slavery is on the rise. It's where cancer can rob a family of a young mother or Alzheimer's can take the wisdom of a beautiful mind.

It is a hard and wicked place.

As a follower of Christ, it's like Colorado in May. Because I have tasted Spring. I've experienced unconditional love, grace and forgiveness. I've felt the warmth of the Gospel. I've seen my depravity yet experienced acceptance.

I know Summer is coming. It's coming for all of us. Until then, I'll just try to brush the snow off the tulips.

No comments:

Post a Comment