Friday, April 22, 2016

The Price of a $14 Car

On a recent trip, Nancy and I needed to rent a car. We were surprised to find a place that offered one for just $14 a day. The deal sounded great so we booked it. What we didn't realize was, while most of the name brand dealers were there at the airport, ours was not. We had to call a shuttle. 

After a few minute wait, the shuttle driver showed up and we, along with all the folks waiting with us, jockeyed to get on. You know the drill, everyone trying to be polite enough not to seem rude, but aggressive enough not to be the one left at the airport. 

Happily, we all got on and began our drive. The family that got on with us began talking about their plans for the week and the guy next to me began to tell me his life story. His was a tale of woe, I can't begin to unpack here.

About five minutes into the drive someone said, "Where the heck are we going?" Other's began to chime in, "How far is this place?" "Where is the driver taking us?" "I hope we're not being abducted!"

And there it was. The magic threshold. When the value of a cheep car is surpassed by the length of the journey to the lot. Five minutes. 

I'm increasingly struck by our ability to whine. I whine about everything. The line is too long. I always get in the slow line. Why is the price of gas going up? Why is this taking so long? Why doesn't the guy show up on time? Why don't I get an upgrade? Why does it take six minutes to get to my $14 car?

When Paul told us to rejoice always and be thankful in all circumstances was he really talking about the arduous journey in a rental van? Seriously?! It was six minutes! 

Listen. I'm not a advocate of glossing over painful circumstances. However I do wonder about our definition of pain. Inconvenience isn't suffering. A loss of privilege isn't persecution.

How much we enjoy the world around us many times has more to do with our attitude than our environment. One of those things we can't control. We are the only ones who can control the other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment