Monday, June 24, 2013

Are You Going to Hell?

I watched an interview Larry King did with some preacher a long time ago. I can’t remember now which televangelist it was, but at some point Larry asked him, “Do you think I’m going to hell?” The guy didn't really want to answer, but after some pushing he admitted, “Yes.”

Larry seemed kind of miffed and the guy seemed kind of apologetic, but the whole thing left me with two questions:

1. Why does this guy feel qualified to decide Larry’s fate?
2. Why does Larry care?

Don’t misunderstand me, as a Christian, I believe in a pretty narrow door to restoration with a god we have abandoned. I think if you were sentenced to die and I sent my son to the gallows to free you, I’d be pretty disappointed if you didn't seem to care.

The thing is, that’s what I think. It’s what I believe to be true from words written in a book I choose to believe and a lifetime of experiences I feel have validated that belief.

But I cannot know the depths of the heart of God. Nor can I claim to know the heart of another man. I’m so duplicitous I don’t even know my own heart, how could I ever judge yours? So, I don’t understand how any human can know your eternal destiny.

But even if I think you’re doomed, why do you care? What difference does it make what I think? Only two things are certain when you die, you’ll be dead and I won’t get to decide anything. So if you’re an atheist, agnostic or Apollo worshiper what I think about your afterlife seems pretty irrelevant.

I think the better questions are, “Is there a god?” and “Can I know him (or her)?”  If the answer is, “No” then there really isn't anything to talk about.

But if the answer is, “Yes” then it seems we should start searching. If you ask with a sincere heart, honestly seeking to know the truth God will be revealed to you. Why? Because I believe you are desperately loved, by a god who longs for relationship with you and hopes for your healing.

I believe there is a god, a god who loves you. But like I said, it's not what I think that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment