Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Love Language Sucks

If you aren't familiar with the five love languages, you can check them out here. Understanding them, helps couples understand and hopefully engage with each other better.

But mine are stupid. Physical touch and words of affirmation. Seriously? Can you get any that are less manly? “Hold me and tell me how great I am.” Seriously?

Why can’t sarcasm be a love language? Then people could say, “Jeff sure is needy, but I love his snappy comebacks.”

Like it or not, that’s how I’m wired. I think a lot of times we don’t like stuff about ourselves. We look at other people and the stuff they can do and think, “Why can’t I talk like that guy? Lead like her? Be as smart as that person?”

For some reason, we downplay our skills and elevate others. How we are created is not a character flaw.

In his book Strength Finder Tom Rath explains that we should figure out where we excel and focus on those things. 

If you’re a good bean counter, figure out how to be the best bean counter you can be. Let someone else handle personnel issues and keep counting those beans. No one wants me in charge of the beans, I'd lose them. 

Even the Bible talks about the church working like a body with many parts. When you have everyone working in their gifting the church functions more effectively.

So learn who you are and grow it. You have been uniquely and wonderfully gifted. Embrace it. And the next time you see me, please give me a hug and tell me I’m awesome. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh don't I wish I could write like Jeff! Or THINK like Jeff!

    ReplyDelete