Monday, January 21, 2013

Alzheimer's God and Blogging

My mom has Alzheimer’s. All she ever did was love Jesus and she’ll spend the rest of her life, in a nursing home, babbling incoherently with someone feeding and changing her.

If that sounds bitter, it’s because I am. She has been relentlessly robed of her wit and wisdom, displayed in the hands of a servant. Is this really how God treats the ones who love him?

Though she was diagnosed 11 years ago, God and I are still working through some issues. He came to die for her, so I know he loves her, but I don’t think I will ever understand.

As the son of someone with Early Onset Alzheimer’s my sister and I have a 50-50 shot to develop the disease.  That means I may have 15 years before I start losing my mind. Last fall, that reality hit me about the same time I was reading Love Does. I started to wonder, “With 15 years or less, what should I do?”

As a missionary, I've been writing letters to people for years, telling stories of how God is working in the world and in me. I never started a blog because I couldn't imagine having something worthwhile to say each week.

But the looming prospect of the disease compelled me to start sharing some things that are on my heart. So if anything I write encourages, challenges or provokes you, you can thank Alzheimer’s.

I've decided bucket lists are stupid. We need “to do” lists. If you knew you had a fixed number of years left what would you do? The clock really is ticking. Don’t wait… go do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment