Wednesday, April 16, 2014

It's Just Africa...

This morning, I read this BBC story about the kidnap of over 100 girls, by Boko Haram in Nigeria. The story really unnerved me, partly because of the horrific nature of the attack. But also because of the lack of attention from the media.

This is only the latest in a series of horrific attacks on the children of Nigeria at the hands of a group opposed to “western education.” I was sick when I had to dig through CNN to even find the story.

In December 2012, our nation was horrified when 20 children were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary. There was wall to wall coverage for days and the incident sparked a national debate for months. A year and a half later there are remembrances and memorials and the images are still a part of our national consciousness.

As it should be.

In February 59 students were killed in one school in Nigeria. Fifty. Nine. That’s one incident in one community two months ago. It’s one story of many that have taken the lives of over 1,500 people.

I’m baffled by the lack of outcry in the international community. And I’m staggered by the lack of reporting in the international press when 100 girls simply disappear.

If this happened anywhere in the west we wouldn't hear the end of it. Anderson Cooper would be posting live reports for weeks from the area. A month old plane crash is still getting prominent attention.  

100 girls in Africa go missing and well… it’s Africa.

What horrifies us should never be dependent on the location of the atrocity, the power of the victim, their gender or the color of their skin. 


3 comments:

  1. Yes, brother, I agree. My heart breaks for the girls and their families. I can't imagine...I don't want to imagine. Praying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this and yes it is sad to see how this news never gets out.

    ReplyDelete