Friday, November 6, 2015

Flashes of Light

I was sitting in an offsite meeting last week, in a room with a huge window. It looked out on the Air Force Academy with Pikes Peak towering behind. As I was soaking in the view I saw a faint flicker.

The weird thing about the flicker was it didn't seem to belong. We're used to lights blinking at the tops of radio towers as they jut into the sky. But this light seemed to be on the side of the hill, in a grove of trees. Slowly, methodically, incessantly blinking.

As I sat there, it started to drive me crazy. What's it doing there? The location doesn't make sense. What purpose could it possibly serve? On a break I started asking people. I showed David. He couldn't figure it out. I told Jon. He said, "Yeah, it's always there. I don't know why."

I couldn't wait until Sunday. Two young men, who attend the Academy, go to our church. I asked them. They didn't know what I was talking about. "You know, we have 18,000 acres, right?"

I STILL don't know why that stinking light is there.

As I watched the light blinking I began to wonder. What if I lived my life that way? What if I lived in a way that flashed light in unexpected places? What if my kindness caused confusion. If my love for people was bewildering. If my actions caused people to ask, "Where does that light come from?"

I'm going to continue to look for the source of the light. The questions it created in me compel me to keep looking. My hope is, my life will do the same for others.


No comments:

Post a Comment