Thursday, December 25, 2014

No Gift to Bring

I was pulling into a Walmart parking lot yesterday, listening to the classic rock station, when "The Little Drummer Boy" came on. When he got to the line, "I have no gift to bring." I almost lost it. Something about the weight of it struck me like never before.

I had to pull it together before anyone saw me. It's not very manly to be weeping in Walmart the day before Christmas. Somehow, "No, no! I was really just listing to classic rock!" didn't seem like a believable excuse.

The irony of the Christmas story is, God was born in a manager, with seemingly nothing to offer. No wealth, education or power. Others had to warm, wipe and feed him. He had nothing.

Thirty three years later he gave what only he had, what only he could give. We are the ones left wanting.

We are the ones who are truly powerless, naked and exposed. We bring nothing to the table, no wealth, wisdom or power, in need of being warmed, wiped and fed. In need of salvation. And it is there, in our emptiness, that we are loved.

Like the Little Drummer Boy, we have nothing God could need or want. Still he looks into the heart of each one of us and says, "I know you. I love you. And I love the way you play that drum."

You are the one he came for. You are the one he loves. Merry Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment