Monday, January 27, 2014

Grammy Girls

Nancy and I watched the Grammys last night. It’s official, I’m old.

But I love the celebration of music. It is a bizarre thing to see Jay Z dancing to Willy Nelson and beautiful to see Pharrell Williams star struck while performing with Stevie Wonder. The Oscars seem more competitive and snarky, while the Grammys are a celebration of everyone’s gifting.

I wonder if that’s what heaven will be like, a celebration of God’s creativity and the uniqueness of his creation. No one posing or posturing, because we are not the creator, but marveling at the exquisite gifting of each creation.

I think heaven will be like the Grammys, but with accountants, Sunday School teachers and middle managers all with a chance to display how God has wired them. And it will be beautiful.

But one thing bothered me as I put my head on my pillow last night; how many girls, teens and young women are watching this and somehow feeling lesser. How many watched, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and Pink, then cursed themselves for blowing their diet?

How many single moms watched the incessant CoverGirl commercials define beauty all night, knowing if they had the money to buy it, they wouldn't have the energy to put it on? Last night, for hours, women across the country were told, this is what it looks like to be beautiful, sexy, desirable… and you will never measure up.

It’s sad.

Ladies, you are beautiful, a masterpiece designed by the master creator, loved, coveted and longed for. Quit listening to the voices that show up on nights like Grammy night. There is only one voice that matters. It is God’s. You are his. And he has called you beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Cousin Jeffrey! OMGoodness!!!! :D I absolutely love you! This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete