Monday, December 16, 2013

Though He slay me, I will hope in Him

Nancy and I recently attended a private screening of The Christmas Candle. A friend had seen the movie and wanted to share it with others, so he rented a theater to make it happen. I love it when people are so moved by something they are unafraid to act in big ways.

I have to admit I was a little skeptical of the film. I struggle with a lot of “Christian” films and have found more meaning in many secular productions than most flicks produced by the church.

I can believe someone can survive a plane exploding and falling from the sky, in the middle of a gunfight, while disarming a nuclear bomb, with a kitten in his backpack.

But Christian films don’t feel real.

What I appreciated about The Christmas Candle was it didn't shy away from unexplained pain and unanswered prayer.

My problem with many “Christian” films, and many Christians, is we seem to think God needs help, so we candy coat our stories.

We can talk about bad stuff as long as it doesn't get too dark. We can talk about the heartache as long as we quickly move to the healing. We can deal with loss as long as we look for the victory.

But sometimes life just sucks. We don’t get to see the reconciliation, the healing or the “purpose.” When we try to fabricate one in the middle of the suckyness we look either delusional or deceitful.

We need to admit, sometimes life sucks. The end.

That’s not a very cheery message, but it’s true. What’s also true is, even in the pain, there is a god who loves you enough to bind his limitless nature inside the frailty of an infant, in a relentless pursuit of you.

Why? So, one day, he can take you to a place where you’ll never weep again. And that's beautiful. 

Sometimes life sucks and it is never hopeless. Job's sentiment nails the dichotomy and we should learn from his example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment