Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Sleep Prayer

I've bumped into some young families recently and they have reminded me of “The Sleep Prayer.” You know the one. 

You pray it at 1:30 in the morning holding an agitated, grouchy, teething little body. You pray it after a fifteen minute drive as you try to carefully transfer a sleeping toddler form the car seat to the bed. You pray it in the evening, hoping for a few minutes of alone time together before you collapse in a heap.

It goes like this, “GOD PLEASE MAKE THIS BABY GO TO SLEEP!!”

It’s been a long time since we've had little ones in the house and I’d forgotten the prayer. But it’s like riding a bike; it comes right back to you.

In our “garage door” society, I worry that we’re so isolated older couples aren't investing in younger ones. Maybe younger couples don’t even believe they need it. I guess you can Google anything now.

So I googled “It’s 1:30 in the morning my baby is crying and I don’t know what to do!” There were some pleasant articles for an afternoon read, including one titled “5 steps to get your baby to nap for a long freaking time" (which may have been more offensive than helpful).  But there wasn't anything that would really help a parent so exhausted and anxiety ridden they’re ready to strangle their child.

As the world changes and young couples leave family and friends for jobs somewhere else around the world, I’m struck with the immense need for the church to be the church.

There is tremendous power in hearing, “It’s OK. I've felt that way too. If you need a break, I’ll come help you. It will get better.” Young moms and dads need to hear those words. They need “adopted” grandparents, aunts and uncles. They need to know there’s someone to call.

There is wisdom, encouragement and help available. 
If you've lived through it and aren't offering it, maybe you should rethink that. If you’re living through it now and have asked for it… God help you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment